Before you hit the crowded gym this January, here are five easy things you can do today to start off the year right by saving money.
- Pack your lunch. Don’t throw away your leftovers. You can easily save over $100 a month if you pack your lunches instead of getting fast food every week, which is not great for your health anyway.
- Automate savings. If you don’t see it, then you won’t spend it. Have a portion of your paycheck go straight into a Savings account. Before you know it, you’ll have enough for that trip to Tahiti.
- Go generic. More often than not, the only difference between your favorite peanut butter jar and a generic one is the packaging. Buy the store brand when possible and you’ll notice your grocery bill will be smaller each time you do so.
- Do it yourself. It’s tempting to take the easy way out and call a plumber every time your garbage disposal stops working, but a quick look on YouTube and a few bucks can save you a lot of money. There are a lot of good resources online to help you fix most everyday household issues.
- Make your own coffee. We get it, that shot of caffeine in the morning is a must for most of us, but paying over $4 for a latte every day quickly adds up. It’s cheaper if you buy your own coffee and creamer, plus it’s likely that your office has a coffee maker already.
This is not an exhaustive list, but it’s a great start to get you on the right track. Keep checking our website for more tips and tricks to help you master your finances.