Consumers lose millions of dollars each year to con artists and scams. Many scams involve the withdrawal of money that is wired to an unknown person or put on a prepaid credit card. BEFORE YOU WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY for something that seems too good to be true, ask yourself the following questions:
- Has anyone asked you to withdraw your money for any reason?
- Have you been instructed to wire funds or purchase prepaid cards for this person?
You Won Scams
Were you just informed by mail or by phone that you have just "won the lottery?"
Have been selected to be a mystery shopper?
Did you receive a check in the mail and are now instructed to send funds for taxes, overpayments, fees, expenses, etc., through a wire or prepaid card
Utility Payments, Taxes, Jury Duty & Home Repair Scams
- Were you contacted by a utility company, the IRS, a courthouse, or law enforcement threatening you for taxes, utility payments, jury duty, etc.?
- Have you been told you need home repairs and the contractor demanded immediate cash payment?
- Were you contacted by a grandchild in need of funds to "get out of jail," for expenses and that they need funds wired immediately?
Selling Goods Scam:
- Did you receive a check or wire for "more than the asking price" for something you are trying to sell or sublease? Are you supposed to send funds back?
- Have you been asked to send funds to someone you met online so they can purchase an airline ticket to come see you or get out of their country?
- Do they continue to ask for more funds because of missing their flight, illness, car wreck or other misfortune?
If you answered ‘YES’ to any of the questions above, you may be involved with a scam. CoreFirst Bank & Trust is always here to assist you and help protect your assets. Please understand that once you have negotiated an item, you are responsible for that item. Wiring funds or purchasing prepaid cards will most likely result in a loss of funds that cannot be reclaimed.
If you are the victim of any type of financial scam, please contact CoreFirst Bank & Trust and report the scam with the Federal Trade Commission at: 1.877.382.4357 or www.ftc.gov.
Phone 1.800.280.0123 or 785.267.8900
Stop by ANY branch location